Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Networking Sites ...

To start this post I have to make a confession. I am one of those people who has MySpace , Facebook , Tagged , Bebo …you name it I got it (except for Twitter although I will eventually get hooked on that too). So now that you know that I can start this post.

The first social networking site I joined was Bebo about 5 years ago. Then it was MySpace, Tagged and last but certainly not least, Facebook. I joined each network at different times but always for the same reason. It’s an easy way to keep in touch with family and friends. It’s also a lot cheaper then phoning and texting people all the time. I do try and see my friends as much as I can in person but when Uni gets hectic and work is taking away my social life it’s easy to just comment someone asking them how they have been and to find out what’s going on their life but in saying that I would choose to see someone physically over just commenting them online.

I heard about Bebo from my friend Nicole who lives in New Zealand. She came to live in Australia for a while and while she was here she created a Bebo account for me so I could stay in touch with her when she went back.

MySpace was a new craze that started that I had to latch onto and it was great. I loved being able to post pictures online for people to see and comment, I could stay in touch with friends and see how my family overseas was doing. That was also my reason for joining Tagged.

Facebook was a bit of a different story. I did it because everyone else was getting into it. So I though I might as well do it so my friends would stop annoying me. Now it’s become the main networking site I use. It’s a lot easier and cleaner to use compared to the others. Although I do have to admit I hated it at first.

With all of these sites I usually don’t add people if I don’t know them. I just don’t think it’s safe to add strangers. I would also never meet anyone I’ve met online in person. I know other people who have and I think it’s stupid and very unsafe. You never know what people are like and who they could turn out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment